A FENSA registered installer guarantees your job meeting Building Regulations. The installers have been vetted and undergone inspections to enable them to self-certify that their work passes Building Regulations.
FENSA is the first glazing self-certification scheme to start in the UK, they have 12 years of raising standards in the glazing industry since it was established in 2002, and it continues to work closely with government and industry. FENSA installers are continually vetted and inspected to ensure that compliance with the Building Regulation standards is being maintained.
On completion of the work you, the homeowner, will receive a FENSA certificate soon after the job is finished. This needs to be kept safe as it will be requested by the solicitor when you come to sell your home.
Benefits of FENSA
Other than knowing your windows and doors are being fitted to the high standard demanded by Building Regulations there are more benefits of using a FENSA installer:
- Offer Guarantee/Warranty: to cover the costs of completing rectification work in respect of defect.
- Insurance to back up the guarantee/warranty in the event the installer ceases to trade.
- Deposit Protection
- Replacement certificates – Can be ordered online. FENSA can offer support to your solicitor when tracing missing certificates during the sale of your property
How to get the best from your installer
Here are some hints and tips for when you are searching for your window and door installer (or indeed any contractor), and some practical steps to take when dealing with them.
- Get recommendations from family and friends.
- Shop around and ask for references – and follow them up!
- Get everything in writing – including cost estimates, timeframes, product selected etc
- Ask three installers to quote for your project.
- Ask them what insurance they provide – for things such as deposit protection.
- Check your installers’ credentials. If they claim Competent Person Scheme registration they will be listed on the relevant website: www.FENSA.org.uk
If you decide to go with an installer not FENSA registered you will need to organise an inspection of your installation job by your local building inspector. This can cost up to £250. If the installation is deemed to be below standard then the homeowner will be responsible for sorting out any problems. This is why we highly recommend using a Competent Persons Scheme like ourselves.
Beware Rogue Traders
We would also like to make you aware that not all window and door companies who claim to be registered with a Competent Persons Scheme actually are. So the only way to guarantee that the company you are using achieves this standard is by searching for your installer through a Competent Persons Scheme website such as FENSA. We have a tool on our website which allows you to search for a FENSA registered business. http://fensa.org.uk/asp/member_search.asp
For further information about FENSA visit the website www.fensa.org.uk
Or contact the FENSA team on 020 7645 3700 or firstname.lastname@example.org